Google
 
Web www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

The boy who knew too much: a child prodigy

This is the true story of scientific child prodigy, and former baby genius, Ainan Celeste Cawley, written by his father. It is the true story, too, of his gifted brothers and of all the Cawley family. I write also of child prodigy and genius in general: what it is, and how it is so often neglected in the modern world. As a society, we so often fail those we should most hope to see succeed: our gifted children and the gifted adults they become. Site Copyright: Valentine Cawley, 2006 +

Friday, June 20, 2008

Father's Day gift from a son

Ainan is not one to buy a gift - he'd rather make one.

For his mother, he made a perfume for Mother's Day. For me - he made a computer game. It was an arcade type game which he had pieced together using some sort of programme that allowed him to play with game elements to structure something to his liking.

I was touched. He had noted that, to relax, I sometimes play computer games. So, he thought he'd make one just for me.

On opening his surprise gift, I let him play it to show me how it worked. I think he felt a strange kind of reward to be able to give in this way. He seemed most content. So was I.

I did note that he was much better at it than I was. He has the advantage of youth, I suppose.

What I find most interesting about Ainan's gifts to us, is that he managed to create an individualized gift that matched the personality and passions of each parent. That shows a certain discernment - and thoughtfulness. It also showed something else: a flexibility in doing whatever was necessary to achieve the creative goal. In the first case, he had to construct a perfume from aromatic chemicals - in the other he had to learn how to construct a computer game - and design one that he thought I would enjoy. He succeeded in both endeavours.

(If you would like to learn more of Ainan Celeste Cawley, a scientific child prodigy, aged eight years and five months, or his gifted brothers, Fintan, four years and ten months, and Tiarnan, twenty-seven months, please go to: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/scientific-child-prodigy-guide.html I also write of gifted education, IQ, intelligence, the Irish, the Malays, Singapore, College, University, Chemistry, Science, genetics, left-handedness, precocity, child prodigy, child genius, baby genius, adult genius, savant, wunderkind, wonderkind, genio, гений ребенок prodigy, genie, μεγαλοφυία θαύμα παιδιών, bambino, kind)

Labels: , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Valentine Cawley @ 11:20 PM 

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me guess : Game Maker by Mark Overmars.
Basic scripting and sprite management elements. Good for children to develop arcade action Shooter(raiden) game.
Or RPG maker but that a different story.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Dear Onlooker,

I have no idea which programme he used. However, thanks for the suggestions - I will look into them. If they are new suggestions to him, he might enjoy them.

Cheers

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, its been a while!

I was struck randomly with the urge to read about prodigiousness, and so naturally I came to your blog. :)

I think I am here tonight because I think this blog will help me to see some things about myself. Perhaps I want to perceive the things I have in common with Ainan as a very gifted person the way that you perceive them rather than the way my parents and my society did, so I am looking at them through your eyes tonight, to help me do that. Yes, I think thats it. It will help me recognize the giftedness in myself that was denied for so long.

Because I hope it will make you feel good, I took the time to explain this other way in which your blog can be important to others - I hope it does make you smile. :)

Thats beautiful that he made you guys perfume and a game. Its as sweet as it is intelligent. Makes my eyes tear.

- Kathy

3:49 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

It is good to hear from you again Kathy...and warming to understand the value, to you, of what I write and the perspective it gives to you.

I hope you are well. I will try to write a reply to your other post tomorrow...it is too late now.

Thanks.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valentine,

Aww! It makes me smile to have made you feel warmed. :)

- Kathy

11:44 AM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Thanks Kathy. Your comments are appreciated...and always a good read.

Take care

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valentine,

Oh, thanks!

As is your blog!

:) :) :)

- Kathy

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape