Google
 
Web www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

The boy who knew too much: a child prodigy

This is the true story of scientific child prodigy, and former baby genius, Ainan Celeste Cawley, written by his father. It is the true story, too, of his gifted brothers and of all the Cawley family. I write also of child prodigy and genius in general: what it is, and how it is so often neglected in the modern world. As a society, we so often fail those we should most hope to see succeed: our gifted children and the gifted adults they become. Site Copyright: Valentine Cawley, 2006 +

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Tiarnan's effort at typecasting Daddy.

Yesterday, Tiarnan, four, asked me to join him in a play fight with his brothers. He did it in his own wordless way, by taking my hand, and giving it a little tug, as I sat before my computer. I knew what he wanted so I rose to join him.

I went downstairs with him. As we walked outside, where Ainan and Fintan were waiting with their "guns" - actually rubber band projectors - he said to me: "I am Juggernaut, and you are Blob."

Ah. No doubt that was perfect casting his eyes. I know I am big, compared to him, but to be cast as Blob (a very large, corpulent but strong man, in the Marvel superhero Universe) was somewhat disconcerting, though charming, too, in a way, since he proposed it in all innocence.

"This is how Blob attacks.", he said, to me, in the manner of an exuberant teacher, impassioned by his own lessons. He then instructed me as to how Blob took on his enemies.

I watched his energetic motions, carefully and then followed him out into the garden.

If "Blob" he wanted me to be, Blob I would be. It would have been nice, however, if he had chosen a somewhat slimmer character for me to impersonate. Then again, I must outweigh him many fold, so to him, it probably seemed a fair casting decision.

So, I joined the smallest Juggernaut in the world, as a somewhat uncertain Blob, in the battle for the garden.

It was fun...but it did give me pause as to how my little son sees me. (I am a mere waif, besides the Blob depicted in Marvel. Long I hope to remain so).

Note: I use the term "typecasting" only because Tiarnan likes to put me in the roles of very large characters. I am not, in fact, all that large and so it is not true to type for me. However, I wished to reflect, Tiarnan's view of me. He is very small...so to him, I suppose, I am a great mound of a man, indeed.

(If you would like to learn more of Ainan Celeste Cawley, 10, or his gifted brothers, Fintan, 6 and Tiarnan, 4, this month, please go to:
http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/scientific-child-prodigy-guide.html

I also write of gifted education, child prodigy, child genius, adult genius, savant, megasavant, HELP University College, the Irish, the Malays, Singapore, Malaysia, IQ, intelligence and creativity.

My Internet Movie Database listing is at: http://imdb.com/name/nm3438598/
Ainan's IMDB listing is at http://imdb.com/name/nm3305973/
Syahidah's IMDB listing is at http://imdb.com/name/nm3463926/

Our editing, proofreading and copywriting company, Genghis Can, is at http://www.genghiscan.com/

This blog is copyright Valentine Cawley. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Use only with permission. Thank you.)

Labels: , , , , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Valentine Cawley @ 4:22 PM 

4 Comments:

Blogger Mochi said...

Tiarnan has a liking to superheroes, huh? Those comics are a good place to let the imagination soar, as are novels. Though, does he pick you for size only? I know Blob to be a rather slow and dumb character, actually, haha.

4:24 AM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Yes, Mochi, he is casting me for size only...but thanks for pointing out the other characteristics!

Cheers

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In many, if not most stories and programmes written for children, the big/overweight character is usually dumb and slow, and overeats.

Overweight children already have a hard time because they are disadvantaged in many ways but the fact that they are portrayed in this way does not help their situation.

Kind regards,
Maria

7:27 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Yes, stereotypes are hurtful, particularly because they can prevent us from seeing the truth of a person: instead, many see the stereotype they have learnt to associate with such a person.

This is just another instance in which the media could be more responsible. Now, there is an idea: responsible media! Perhaps that is a contradiction in terms.

Thanks for your comment Maria.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape