Google
 
Web www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

The boy who knew too much: a child prodigy

This is the true story of scientific child prodigy, and former baby genius, Ainan Celeste Cawley, written by his father. It is the true story, too, of his gifted brothers and of all the Cawley family. I write also of child prodigy and genius in general: what it is, and how it is so often neglected in the modern world. As a society, we so often fail those we should most hope to see succeed: our gifted children and the gifted adults they become. Site Copyright: Valentine Cawley, 2006 +

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A prodigy in the family.

Today, an article written by me, entitled "A prodigy in the family" with a second title of "A  genius in their midst" has been published by The Star of Malaysia. This article was directly commissioned by The Star, to give a personal take on what it is like to raise a prodigious child.

It seems very odd to consider it, but today more than 1,000,000 readers will get to read some of my writing. That is about double the number who have read my blog these past six years. That is quite astonishing - that one newspaper article should equate to six years of blogging, in reach and influence.

I am hoping to get the chance to write more articles, in the future, on a diverse range of topics (should I be so permitted). I find myself with quite a bit to say - it would be enlivening to have the opportunity to say it, to a wider audience than I am accustomed.

The article is linked here, for those who wish to read it:

http://parenthots.com/features/A-genius-in-their-midst.aspx

For those with direct access to a newspaper version - the article is on pages one, two and three of Star 2.

For those who are unfamiliar with Ainan's story, this article is a good summary and introduction.

Happy reading!

Posted by Valentine Cawley

(If you would like to support my continued writing of this blog and my ongoing campaign to raise awareness about giftedness and all issues pertaining to it, please donate, by clicking on the gold button to the left of the page.

To read about my fundraising campaign, please go to: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2011/01/fundraising-drive-in-support-of-my.html and here: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2011/01/fundraising-drive-first-donation.html

If you would like to read any of our scientific research papers, there are links to some of them, here: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2011/02/research-papers-by-valentine-cawley-and.html

If you would like to see an online summary of my academic achievements to date, please go here: http://www.getcited.org/mbrz/11136175To learn more of Ainan Celeste Cawley, 10, or his gifted brothers, Fintan, 7 and Tiarnan, 5, please go to: http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2006/10/scientific-child-prodigy-guide.html

I also write of gifted education, child prodigy, child genius, adult genius, savant, megasavant, HELP University College, the Irish, the Malays, Singapore, Malaysia, IQ, intelligence and creativity.

There is a review of my blog, on the respected The Kindle Report here:http://thekindlereport.blogspot.com/2010/09/boy-who-knew-too-much-child-prodigy.html

Please have a read, if you would like a critic's view of this blog. Thanks.

You can get my blog on your Kindle, for easy reading, wherever you are, by going to: http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Knew-Too-Much/dp/B0042P5LEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1284603792&sr=8-1

Please let all your fellow Kindlers know about my blog availability - and if you know my blog well enough, please be so kind as to write a thoughtful review of what you like about it. Thanks.

My Internet Movie Database listing is at:http://imdb.com/name/nm3438598/

Ainan's IMDB listing is at http://imdb.com/name/nm3305973/

Syahidah's IMDB listing is at http://imdb.com/name/nm3463926/

Our editing, proofreading and copywriting company, Genghis Can, is athttp://www.genghiscan.com/This blog is copyright Valentine Cawley. Unauthorized duplication is prohibited. Use only with permission. Thank you.)


Labels: , , ,

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Valentine Cawley @ 4:20 PM 

6 Comments:

Blogger Summer said...

I loved reading your article, what cute family photos, Ainan looks so grown up.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Thank you PomoBear...yes, Ainan is growing up fast. He is as tall as his mother, now. I think he is going to be a tall fellow...perhaps taller than his father, one day (which would be unusual considering how not tall his mother is!)

I am glad you liked the article. I hope to be allowed to write more for the newspaper in future.

7:17 AM  
Blogger EbTech said...

You grew a beard!
I'm happy to see how well your family is doing post-Singapore. Best of luck with your writing, acting, learning, and whatever else you decide to do!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

It is good to hear from you again, EbTech. Yes, life is better for us, post Singapore. Ainan has more opportunity here - and so do we,in many areas.Malaysia is just a more welcoming society in many ways...more fluid, flexible and adaptable.

Thank you for your well wishes. Since coming to Malaysia I have worked as a psychology researcher, an actor (films, TV dramas,commercials), a writer (newspapers, books) and an education activist. My wife has held an art exhibition.It has been refreshing.

I hope all is going well for you.

10:38 PM  
Blogger EbTech said...

You are all so fortunate to experience such diverse activities! The less gifted may have to invest their lives to acquire the basic skills of a single profession, you know. It's nice that your work can enrich society from multiple angles. Conversely to my first sentence, the world is even more fortunate to have you.

The "adult phase" of my life begins in 5 weeks, when I leave my parents' home for an American graduate school. There will be no more qualifying exams or grade point averages from here onward, so I can focus on studying and researching what interests me.

Thank you for your wishes. Long-term goals are confusing to figure out, but things are improving for me too. I feel enlightened in many ways. Computer science clarifies my understanding of nature and intelligence in ways that are hard to describe. Hopefully I can put all that theory into practice and eventually contribute something meaningful, but I have yet to determine how. Actually, the more we undertand, the more we realize that we don't understand at all...

4:18 AM  
Blogger Valentine Cawley said...

Yes, EbTech, I do feel fortunate in being able to acquire many skills, rapidly...as I have done in my life. It has given me a very diverse experience of life...everything from physicist to performance artist! Indeed, were I to write down all the professions I have contributed to it would look rather implausible (though I lived it, and know it to be true).

Thank you for your kind words. I feel lucky to be in a society, now, that allows me to express my diversity. Some places wouldn't be so keen on that, I think (Singapore anyone?)

It is good that you are realizing that some things you just don't understand. If those areas of non-understanding happen to be common to other computer scientists, I think you will have found yourself a worthwhile research project. It is at the edges of understanding that you should be working.

Good luck with your research to come. I hope it brings you creative fulfilment.

Best wishes.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape